Haven’t received your Form W-2 yet? The IRS can help.

It’s tax time and you need your Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement, to file an accurate federal tax return. You should have received it by February 1st this year. If yours still hasn’t arrived, contact your employer and ask for a copy. Make sure they have your correct address.

If the form still hasn’t arrived by the end of February, contact the Internal Revenue Service at 800-829-1040. They will attempt to contact your employer for you. Let them know the following:

  • Your name, address, Social Security number and phone number
  • Your employer’s name, address and phone number
  • The dates you worked for the employer
  • An estimate of your wages and federal income tax withheld in 2014 (You can use your final pay stub for these amounts.)

Still no Form W-2? You have two choices.

  1. File your return by April 17 and use Form 4852, Substitute for Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement. Try to estimate your wages and withholding as best you can.
  2. Ask for more time to file by using Form 4868, Application for Automatic Extension of Time to File U.S Individual Income Tax Return. You can even e-file the request.

Be aware that if it turns out the information on the Form W-2 is different than you reported, you might need to file an amended tax return. Just use Form 1040X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return, to make the change.

Contact Carpenter, Evert and Associates for help with filing a 1040X or other tax issues at 9052-831-0085 or click here.

You can visit IRS.gov/Forms-&-Pubs to view, download or print the tax forms you need right away.

Speak Your Mind